Our Expertise

Talk to an expert in LGBTIQ Law

Our lawyers can provide you with specialist advice and tailored information to suit your individual needs.



As society develops, so does the relationship between the law and the LGBTIQ community. Increasingly, same sex relationships and gender diverse individuals are granted the same rights as other members of Australian society. In saying this, exceptions do remain, and LGBTIQ individuals often face challenges specific to their sexualities or gender identities.

It can be extremely difficult navigating the legal system which is why Wiltshire Family Law are committed to providing our clients with specialist advice and tailored information to suit your individual needs.

We can give you expert advice in areas of the law including:

Same Sex Relationships

Australia recognises same-sex relationships as de facto unions, which means that in all but a few cases, the law treats same sex couples as equal to heterosexual partnerships.

For same sex couples, the following areas of law are all equally applicable as they are to other members of society:

Transgender Law

Legally changing your birth gender, or the gender of your passport, can be an important step in reclaiming your gender identity and navigating the legal process itself is often quite complicated.


Australian citizens may have their gender recorded either as F (Female), M (Male), or X (Intersex). If you are looking to change the gender on your passport from that recorded on your birth certificate, or from that recorded on a previous passport, you can do so by completing a full passport application form and providing one of the following:

  • A gender recognition certificate issued by the Gender Reassignment Board, or
  • A revised birth certificate issued by an RBDM (Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages), or
  • A recognised details certificate issued by an RBDM.

Alternatively, you can provide a statement from a registered medical practitioner or psychologist that you have had, or are receiving, clinical treatment for gender transition.

Birth Certificates

Birth registers are controlled on a state-by-state basis, which means you need to apply for a change in the state in which you were born.

In Queensland, this process requires gender reassignment surgery. Two statutory declaration sections from doctors confirming your surgery must then be provided with your application.

You must also be 18 years of age, or your parents or guardians must have applied for parental court approval.

If you are married, Queensland law necessitates that you first divorce before applying to change the sex of your birth certificate. You will need to provide evidence of the divorce in your application.

If you would like assistance or advice in any of the above areas, Wiltshire Family Law can help, we offer a free initial consultation. Contact us today to see how we can help.

Wiltshire Family Law can provide you with expert advice regarding any of the above situations, please get in touch today to see how we can assist you.

Call us today on 13 20 30 or email us here.