Our Expertise

Obtain a child location and recovery order

The team of experienced family law practitioners at Wiltshire Family Lawyers are able to provide prompt and accurate advice in relation to obtaining recovery and location orders.


Location and Recovery of Children

Recovery, Location and Publication Orders:

What can I do to get my child returned to me?
If your child has been withheld from you by the other parent or another person, you are likely to be eligible to apply for a Recovery Order. A recovery order directs a person, usually the Australian Federal Police, to find, recover and deliver a child to another person.

You do not need Parenting Orders from the Court to apply for a Recovery Order. However, the Recovery Order process is different if you do have Parenting Orders from the Court.

What can I do if I don’t know where my child is?
If you do not know where your child is you can apply to the Court for a Location Order. A Location Order directs a person or entity (e.g. Centrelink, the Child Support Agency) to provide information about the possible whereabouts of a child to the Court. You can also seek advice on relocating your child.

What if I still can’t find my child?
A Publication Order gives the media permission to publish photographs of the child and the person you expect the child to be with.

What if my child was removed from Australia?
Australia is a signatory to The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction such that if your child has been taken outside Australia, depending on which country they are in, that country may assist you in having the child returned to Australia.

If you are concerned that your child will be taken outside of Australia, there are steps you can take to prevent this.

What if I am not the child’s parent?
You do not need to be the child’s parent to apply for Recovery, Location, Publication or Parenting Orders. To apply for such Orders, you need to be someone who is concerned with the care, welfare and development of the child (e.g. Grandparent or the person the child usually lives with).